Semen can be sent on for morphology testing by an accredited bull semen morphologist, which is recommended for all bull breeders selling bulls at sales. Certificates can be supplied. The bull check is a vital part of any breeding program. It is important to assess the reproductive status of any bulls that are being used on a property (whether directly or indirectly via AI programs).
A bull check can include basic information such as identification and history (including vaccinations) of the bull as well as 5 key assessments where facilities allow:
- A general physical examination including structure (conformation) and upper reproductive tract
- An examination of the testes and measurement of scrotal size
- A serving assessment to evaluate libido and mating ability
- Collection and assessment of a semen sample
- Laboratory examination of sperm morphology